Friday, September 11, 2009

Sony Bravia LCD - Price Negotiation Or Just Plain Lying?

Here's the setup...

I'm selling a new in the box Sony Bravia 46" LCD with 1080P, 120Hz, drink holder, pistol-grip gearshist, etc. It retails, on Amazon.com for around $1200. The KDL-46V5100, refurbished, goes for around $900. So Craigslist codbags are pulling there usual "I'll give you $200 cash TODAY." offers (BTW - when did the US dollar become so valuable that I can take $700 less on a TV because someone's offering cash?)

Anyway, I get someone in the store that claims that my price is too high because he can get that exact model at Wal-Mart for around $700 and will I beat their price? As I've stated in past articles, I'm not all that bright but I know that even the mighty Wal-Mart can't get a 46" 1080P, 120Hz LCD in your hands for that kind of money. And a Sony Bravia to boot.

I get this a lot from customers and I've begun to wonder when lying became a negotiating tactic as opposed to just flat out lying. I actually get this from a lot of people that insist everyone know how Christian they are. Maybe Jesus would misquote a Wal-Mart price to get a great deal on a sweet LCD, I don't know. When a customer goes down this road, you're pretty much forced into the position of either giving them what they want or embarassing them by calling them out on their lie.

SOLUTION
Here's what I usually say... "That sounds pretty low to me but I'll tell you what, if they have it at that price, I'll beat it by 25% but if it's not available at that price will you buy mine at my price?"

2 comments:

matt said...

Your solution is good. Also ask them to bring in an ad showing the price.

Other point, we have a right to try and negotiate. I've been a buyer and a seller, and I negotiate hard, because sometimes the Xbox360 isn't worth $400, because your throwing in a headset (which came with the original game).

Short answer. Stop whining.

uncle_kaka said...

matt,

I absolutely agree that people have the right to negotiate but having to negotiate wasn't the point of my article. My problem is with people that lie that use lying as a form of negotiation. I've dealt with some seriously skilled negotiators in my time and none of them had to resort to lying.

Of course I'm whining but I do it well and I have so few talents. Please don't ask me to give this one up. See, I've just started to whine again : )

Thanks for the comment, I like your idea about bringing in the ad.